Sunday, March 10, 2013

Older & Wiser



What great mild weather we had this past weekend.  It’s just a teaser, isn’t it?  Yesterday morning, the sun was streaming into my bedroom window, just screaming at me to get outside and hit the trails.  Without giving it too much thought, I put my gear on and eagerly headed over to Dundas Valley.  I parked the car and ran to the main loop from the parking lot and it was at the entrance to the main loop trail where my bubble burst.



The trails were covered in crusty snow….you know that hard icy stuff that you can’t really run on unless you have Yaktrax  I actually purchased a pair a few months ago and have yet to break open the box.    How could I have been so stupid I thought to myself.  Did I think two days of above 0 temperatures would melt all the snow and ice on the trails!  Oh well, what to do now.  There was no way I was even going to attempt negotiating the ice and snow on those trails.  No way, I'm much smarter than that...now.  I had broken my leg years ago when I slipped on black ice, while running.  And just over a year ago, my friend Helene broke her wrist when she tried to break her fall on ice when we were out for a leisurely Sunday trail run.  

So, I ended up running from the trail centre to Governors Road on the laneway that cars drive in and out of.  It was quiet, the dirt was softening and there were trees all around me.  45 minutes later, I left with a smile on my face...feeling a bit gypped but semi-satisfied.  And those hills were killer….I’m feeling my quads today.    A few more weeks and the trails will be more manageable…they’ll be muddy but they’ll be runnable.  I can hardly wait!

No comments: